- 1 Introduction
- 2 Movement
- 3 Normal Moves
- 4 Pursuit Attack
- 5 Throws
- 6 Special Moves
- 7 EX Moves
- 8 Dark Force
- 9 Combos
- 10 Strategies
- 11 Matchups
- 12 Zabel Memos
- 13 Zabel Bugs
- 14 Notable Players
Zabel Zarock (ザベル), the Zombie. Zabel has pretty much all the tools he needs to handle every situation and is almost as good of a turtler as a rushdown character. He is very interesting to play but is not as easy to learn as other characters. To be good, you need to master every option that he has, and he has quite a lot of them. To play Zabel you will generally want to get close and then trap the opponent with a poke that gives frame adv. and then applying his incredibly good high/low/cmd-throw game. Also, one should never hesitate to abuse of his air mobility and jumping attacks. Extremely strong and versatile, he is usually considered top tier, his only downfall may be his low stamina.
Primary objective: IAD j.d.HP/j.LK, short short super.
Walk: Zabel's walk speed is about average.
Crouch: Zabel can crouch forward and backward by holding 3 or 1. Crouching has higher speed than walking. Crawling seems to eliminate Zabel's landing recovery from jumps, which is moderately useful.
Dash: Zabel crouches forward at higher speed. While dashing pressing any attack button will make Zabel perform the crouching version of the attack with some added momentum. This attack loses its ability to cancel and chain though. The dash can also be canceled by pressing 4. When the dash ends Zabel will stand up for some frames before he can crouch back again.
Jump: Zabel's jump distance is rather short.
Air dash: Pressing 44 or 66 in the air will make Zabel air dash. Pressing 4 or any attack button during the air dash will make Zabel fall down while performing the attack. Zabel can't airblock or chain during the air dash. If Zabel air dashes backward then his air 2K moves will also moves him backwards. The motion for an instant air dash (IAD) is 956. If done quickly enough Zabel will dash very close to the ground. Then you can cancel the IAD into another normal to make an air attack (must be blocked high) very close to the ground. This is a huge part of Zabel's pressure/mixup game, it helps him cover grounds quickly and makes blocking his attack strings incredibly difficult. Last note, IADs are obviously anti-low but can also hover above some standing moves, even when the IAD is done as low as possible (Aulbath's far stand HK comes to mind).
All damage values obtained when performed on Demitri. All hit/guard advantage values performed from point blank range, with additional situational values noted below.
Forward Standing Normals
|Forward Light Punch|
|Renda Bonus||H:0 G:-1|
|Crouching Light Punch|
|Renda Bonus||H:+9 G:+8|
|Crouching Medium Punch|
|Crouching Light Kick|
|Crouching Hard Kick|
硬直差の範囲 H：転倒 G：-7～+2
|Jumping Medium Punch|
|Start/Active/Recovery Frames||4||6||5||1 (+4 Frames of Full Guard)|
|Jumping Hard Punch|
|Jumping Light Kick|
|Jumping Medium Kick|
Command Jumping Normals
|Jumping Down Medium Punch - j2.MP|
|Jumping Down Hard Punch - j2.HP|
Note: Every "stretched" move is chain cancellable. Every dashing move is a crouched one, and keep a bit (or a lot, depend of the length of the hitting frames) of the dash's momentum. Air dashed drills keep the dash's momentum too.
HP: Upward hitting move, GREAT anti air. Not much more to say about this move. Not safe. Better used when chained into stand HK, makes it less punishable.
HK: Interesting move. High kick, Zabel's foot turn into a saw. Zabel's hitbox go back a bit while doing it, which makes it a good anti air.
f.LP: Zabel stretches and poke. Good move for poking, better if cancelled into c.lk after either hit or guard. Can work better as an anti IAD than stand lp (highly situational) and is useful in combos. Good reach, special cancellable. Many chars can crouch under it.
f.HP: 3 hit stretching move. Somewhat useful in chains as it creates a delay in the chain. Kinda slow, Tech hit/guard cancel all day on it.
c.LP: Low jab, very good move (lots of + frames either on hit or guard). Move of choice when ground dashing. One of Zabel's fastest move. Main starter of his up close high/low game due to it's frame advantage. Special cancellable.
c.MP: Low hook, hits mid. Can be linked from cr.lp x 2. Special cancellable.
c.LK: Good move. Low kick, hits low, starter of 95% of his ground combos. Really low frame advantage on hit and guard. Still, a good (great?) move. Special cancellable.
c.HK: Sliding saw, hits low, goes under a lot of projectiles. Non cancellable.
j.MP: Great move, best used on air to air when your opponent is above you. Happens a lot since you will IAD pretty often. Can go for the unblockable when it hits that way. Big hitbox, can be use to whiff on purpose and mix up. Special cancellable. Full guard after it's recovery.
j.HP: Chest bones again. Good air to air move when opponent is above, but why use this when you can use j.MP. Usually used whiffed to build meter.
j.LK: Only one use for this move: unblockable. It's a good move but it would probably never be used if it weren't for the unblockable. The move's last hitting frames is unblockable, learn setups to land that one frame only on an opponent. Special cancellable.
j.MK: Good move, good reach. Zabel attacks with the bone form his shin. Good move overall. Special cancellable.
j.d.MP: Excellent move overall. Same attack but angled downward. Hits farther than j.MP, probably his best air to ground move. Can be used as an instant overhead against some chars. Special cancellable, Full guard after it's recovery. Move of choice for chicken guarding.
j.d.HP: Chest bones part 3. Arguably his best IAD move. Not cancellable. Not much else to say. Learn to instant IAD j.d.HP, it is required to play him decently. Random note: If you do not IAD as fast as possible, IAD j.d.hp will whiff against a crouching Q-Bee ; the timing to land a IAD j.d.MP against her is more lenient, but j.d.HP has more hitstun.
j.d.LK: Downward drill. Land the closest of the 3 drills. Can be used in IADs. Best use as an IAD against Q-Bee (if you cannot land iad j.d.MP/j.d.HP) or as a setup for the unblockable. Fast, can be chained into but not from, not cancellable. The drill of choice (if you miss your IAD you won't fly for half an hour, with the others you will).
j.d.MK: Downward drill, moderate distance. Wouldn't use it if I were you. See LK drill for info.
j.d.HK: Downward drill, goes the farthest. Shitty outside IADs. See LK drill for info.
Special note about "Full Guard": What is full guard? Well it's a bug on Zabel's jumping LP's and MP's that allows him to guard EVERYTHING while airborne if guardable after the recovery of these moves. That includes guarding moves that you are not supposed to guard while airborne (ie. every single grounded normal move) - https://twitter.com/shu180sx/status/926116428985405440
Zabel hovers and stomps you multiple times (normal 3 times, EX 6 times). As all pursuits, can be whiffed to get closer and go straight into mixups, but Zabel's kinda slow... Don't do it often.
|Death Hurricane - 214 LK/MK/HK/ES (Filler Information Below)|
File:Zabel hurricane 1.png
File:Zabel hurricane 2.png
File:Zabel hurricane 3.png
File:Zabel hurricane 4.png
File:Zabel hurricane 5.png
File:Zabel hurricane 6.png
|Chip Damage||Per Hit:0/2|
|Start/Active/Recovery Frames||??||1||??||(Grounded) ??|
Spinning move. Fast enough, short one is pretty safe.
|Hell Gate - 41236 LK/MK/HK (Filler Information Below)|
|Meter Gain||12|| 1f
File:Zabel hellgate 1.png
File:Zabel hellgate 2.png
File:Zabel hellgate 3.png
File:Zabel hellgate 4.png
File:Zabel hellgate 5.png
Teleport. Invincible from the 1st frame. Strength determines where you'll reappear, no matter which side you're on. No ES.
Death Phrase - 623K (GC):
- Guard Cancel, that can only be used as a Guard Cancel, there is no normal special move version of this attack.
- (Any Version) Fast, knocks down.
- (ES Version) Adds a second untechable hit. This move is quite important for Zabel due to the opponent not being able to ground roll after the second hit, which can potentially set up his unblockable j.LK.
Ultimate Revenge - 623K (DFGC):
- A Guard Cancel only available while in Dark Force mode. The hitbox on this one is worse than his regular Guard Cancel. Unblockable (is this true?). No ES.
|Death Voltage (Air) - air 63214 KK|
|Air version has 5f pre-attack frames, with 32 active frames.|
Final Transformation: Ultimate Undead - Same strength P + K
- (Any Version) Gold Chainsaw mode. Zabel gets a new set of attacks, while losing his special moves and throws, and his dash becomes a hop rather than his normal crawl. While in dark force mode Zabel's normals do white (recoverable) damage on block. DF-Zabel has a unique Guard-Cancel animation
- Tenraiha punishes — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyM7vYK7BXg
- Evil Scream unblockable loop — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxaIZchP-rQ
- Death Voltage unblockable loop — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arJjQUlR-zM
- Unblockable loop in practice — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Rs0k-AIcE
- Corner Backwards Airdash Setup - https://twitter.com/VMP_KyleW/status/830983193499049986
Kaji comeback Wwww: - https://twitter.com/sakamoto7691/status/826470064798920704
- cr.lp, RENDA cr.lp LINK cr.mp is a 3-frame link while cr.lk, RENDA cr.lk LINK cr.mp is a 2-frame link. LP-version is easier
- From an air-dash, J.2K (Bee Drill) comes out faster. 4-frames total(?) startup
- ES-Guard Cancel sets up the Disable-Roll Bug, so setups for UB-J.lk are legit at this time. The setups do differ per character.
- Against Felicia - 8-jump, falling J.lk
- Dark Force Zabel does not have a taunt
- Something about using special moves after an ES-GC, but a legit translation is needed
- Zabel Can Renda cr.lp into dash links.
- Unblockable J.lk
- See the 5th Column Here -
- Corner setups that beat blocking
- Disable-roll Bug
- ES-Guard Cancel - It's naturally 2-hits & forces the Disable-roll condition
- Dizzy Bug
- Disable-roll Bug > Proximity block > Throw > Throw-tech
- Absolute Air Guard on J.mp, J.lp & Air Guard Restores Air Options
- Dark Force Palette Bug
- While CPU Zabel is in Dark Force, do a command grab (as to not allow the character to leave dark force) then press start on player-2.
- Unblock ES-Guard Cancel Frames
- See The first chart here - Zabel is at frame 7
- Unblock ES-Guard Cancel Frames
- See The first chart here - Dark-Force Zabel is at frames 5-7
Japanese Player Index: http://www21.atwiki.jp/vsplayer/pages/20.html
|Name (English)||Name (Japanese)||Color||Location||Contact||Notes|
|Komemaru||こめまる||MP||Kanto Region||http://twitter.com/komemaru_z||#1 Zabel, from Tokyo|
||KK||Kanto Region||#2 Zabel|
Switched to Demitri in 2017
|—||LK||Tokyo, Japan||http://twitter.com/t2ya55||Legendary Zabel|
T.O. for DCC-events
|Nan||ナン||LK||Kansai Region||http://twitter.com/hanakozou||Best Bell in West Japan|
|黒野||HK||Kanto, Japan||Organizes the New Comer Tournaments at Mikado|