Under Night In-Birth/UNIST/Hyde
This character page is for the latest version of the game, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] (UNIST). To see Hyde's character page for the previous version, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late (UNIEL), click here.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Move List
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Combos
- 5 Colors
He wakes up -- In order to free the girl from the chains of eternity that seal her fate. The
power burned within him, the "Void". The blade he carries, the insulator. Each day became
lost in a sea of banality, living under the threat of the Night. The Hollow Night approaches,
and where reality and fantasy meet, this young boy takes a stand... to reclaim everything,
and return it to nothingness.
Once a normal high school boy, Hyde was attacked by the Void. However, thanks to the help of a mysterious young girl named Linne, he was able to barely escape death. Upon discovering that the attack had turned him into an In-Birth, a being that can utilize EXS, he is forced by Linne to fight alongside her against the threat of the Void.
Linne has since claimed respite in Hyde's house, much to the latter's chagrin. After fighting countless battles together as part of "special training", Hyde has become accustomed to his powers. He relies greatly on Danretsu no Menzaifu, the sword that Linne entrusted to him. During this time, he has also met the gargantuan brute Waldstein, who also happens to be Linne's comrade.
But when the phenomenon known as the Under Night suddenly appears, Linne and Waldstein mysteriously disappear, leaving only a message for Hyde to stay away.
But he will have none of that. Hyde vows to find Linne and Waldstein, and settle a score with the mysterious woman known as "Paradox"....
Character Trait: Any normal that uses a sword does chip damage
Vorpal Trait: The chip damage from sword normals is increased in Vorpal and Force Function charges faster
Being the main character of the game, Hyde has the usual "shoto" tools associated with the, role, fireball, meterless dragonpunch reversal, etc. Where Hyde truly shines, however, is in the corner rushdown game. He has tools like Sinistry and Veil Effect to close the distance and get started, 6B, 5C and Shadow Shock to beat out attempts to poke out, and Vacant Shift to help rack up damage through combos. On top of all of those, his sword normals do chip damage, meaning that even if the opponent blocks all of your strings, damage will still rack up quickly.
On the flipside, he has limited ways of actually opening the opponent up. Delayed vacant shifts and charged Dead-Set Daze helps, but Hyde has undeniably subpar mixup, relying mostly on keeping the opponent locked down. In addition, the more knowledgeable the opponent, the more likely they'll use defensive options like shielding or veil-off to invalidate Hyde's pressure and get themselves out of the corner.
L = Low, H = High, UNB = Unblockable, CS = Chain Shift
Startup includes the first active frame.
|Dead-Set Daze (charged)
After Black Orbiter
After Black Orbiter
Infinite Worth EXS
Hyde’s neutral game depends heavily on the matchup. In some matches Hyde benefits from zoning, in others he will need to get past the opponent’s zoning. Sometimes it will be a combination of both. This section explains his neutral game in general.
- A Black Orbiter(236A) recovers quickly and allows you to run after it safely in certain situations. If the opponent jumps to avoid it, you can anti-air them with a properly spaced 3C.
- Assault j.6C is the main assault attack used for approaching. It has the furthest horizontal range and good hitstun, so it can be used as a quick approach to catch the opponent off guard or whiff punish attacks. If it catches an airborne opponent, it will wallbounce and allow a combo.
- 66C is Hyde’s longest range normal, but is relatively slow. It’s negative on block, so cancelling to either Orb or B+C upon connecting makes it safer.
- 6B and 2B are Hyde’s main long range pokes, 6B being faster, but much easier to whiff punish. From a dash, to perform 6B instead of getting the 66B knee attack, input it as 6646B.
- Throwing out an EXS Black Orbiter(236C) and running after is usually a safe way of covering distance and starting pressure.
- Punishing Approaches
- Both Black Orbiter(236A/B) versions are good for punishing approaches. 236B is faster but has more recovery, so it is more risky to throw out than 236A when opponents are in range to assault or jump over to punish it. Opponents assaulting or jumping over 236A can often be anti-aired with 623B. Using Orbs to encourage opponents to jump, then hitting them out of the air is a common tactic for punishing approaches.
- Shadow Scare(22A/B) is another strong zoning tool. Both versions are good for catching the opponent moving or attacking at their respective ranges. The A version comes out in 11 frames and appears closer, while the B version has longer startup and reaches almost full screen.
- Assault attacks can be used to hop over and punish opponents approaching with lower hitting attacks.
- 6B and 2B are good pokes here as well and can be used once the opponent comes within their max range. More so 6B, since it is faster.
- 623B is Hyde’s primary anti-air since it is fully invulnerable. It will punish even very low jump-ins due to its fast startup.
- 3C is usable as anti-air as well, but is most effective when opponents are coming in from a high arc, since it will often get stuffed by lower jump-in attacks.
Hyde's offense revolves around proper use of frame traps, assault, throws, and punishing throw tech attempts. His only ground overhead is charged B+C which is extremely slow, and his assault attacks don't hit especially fast, so getting through an opponent's defenses will take a strong understanding of these pressure tools and ability to read opponents effectively. EXS Black Orbiter (236C) and Chain Shift are great ways to start or prolong pressure.
- Frame Traps and Blockstrings
- Hyde's sword normals will do chip damage on block, so working more of them into a blockstring can help whittle away at the opponent's life.
- 2A is a common pressure starter. It hits low and can be easily hit confirmed into itself to combo or continue with a blockstring. It is only slightly negative on block, so tick throws and anti-throws can be mixed in with stagger pressure. 2A is also the primary reverse beat option to end strings that hadn't already used it to leave yourself at better frame advantage.
- 5[C] is useful in pressure, it leaves Hyde at slight advantage on block, and more so if cancelled to a 2A whiff.
- 6B is the best normal for starting pressure when outside 2A range. Cancel the first hit to 5[C] to combo on hit or continue pressure on block.
- Black Orbiter (236A/B)->Dark Lotus (236A) is a relatively safe way to end blockstrings once all other attempts to open the opponent's defenses have failed. It leaves Hyde a good distance away and close to neutral. You can choose to make the Orb airtight or create small gaps after reverse beating to A or B normals, such as 5A or 3B. Following blocked Dark Lotus, Shadow Scare(22A) is a good option since you will be at the ideal distance for it.
- Vacant Shift(214A/B) can be used as a pressure restarter from blockstrings. Delaying the first 4A/B following a blocked 214A/B leaves Hyde close and at slight frame advantage if delayed the maximum amount. There is a gap between hits, so opponents attempting to punish the first hit with something not invulnerable can be caught by the second. Done from closer range, Hyde will fall behind for the followup, so it can be used for repositioning as well.
- Assault on offense can be used for quick overhead attacks, hopping over counter pokes, and avoiding throws.
- Assault j.A is the fastest overhead hit, but cannot be followed up with combos if done early out of assault, outside using CS.
- Assault j.B is most common overhead out of assault. Slightly slower than j.A, but provides more hitstun and damage from combos.
- Assault j.C is slowest but can be charged to create mixups by releasing the charge as an overhead, and land cancelling the charge to a 2A or throw.
- Assault air Dark Lotus (j.236A/B) is significantly plus on block, and can catch opponents trying to throw upon noticing a delay following your assault.
- Throws and Throw Tech Punishes
- Throws can be used at any time in pressure that you've conditioned the opponent to block. 2A is a common tick throw due to it's quick recovery.
- By making it look as if a throw is incoming, resulting in the opponent inputting a throw tech, Hyde has various ways to punish. The main method is air Dark Lotus (tk.236A/B), it puts Hyde airborne immediately and punishes a throw whiff into a damaging combo. If the opponent blocked, Hyde is at significant frame advantage. However, this loses to many tech option-selects such as 3A+C+D which results in a character's anti-air to come out if they did not get grabbed.
- To punish 3A+C+D or similar option-selects, you can backdash at the time they input the throw tech option-select and whiff punish their attack with 6B.
- EXS Black Orbiter (236C)
- 236C can be cancelled into at any time during blockstrings to restart pressure. A common time to cancel into it is after 236B Orb followup, it will allow a combo on hit and pressure on block. It can also be used after 22A in a similar fashion.
- Following a blocked 236C, you can safely run into 2A range and begin usual pressure, including assault tactics.
- Chain Shift
- A common use for Chain Shift is following Orb > 236B add on. The add on leaves you close to the opponent, and following the CS you can pressure on block or combo on hit.
- CS on the final hit of Vacant Shift(214A/B) A or B version can lead to a high-low mixup. CS close to ground upon connecting, then j.A for high, land 2A for low. There is no gap for the j.A on normal block, but there is for the land 2A.
- Black Orbiter cannot be CS on block, but can on it. This makes for a useful option-select when using Orb frame traps. Input is 236A/B~A+D~236A+D. On block, Dark Lotus will come out leaving you safe. On hit, the Orb will CS and you can combo. The main benefits of this OS are shown in corner since it is easy to maximize damage from meter gained from GRD after the CS. It can also be input as 236A/B~5D~236A+D. 236A/B~236A+D will work when the Orb connects very close since time between 5D inputs is short.
- Resets and Gimmicks
- A stand hit 2A converted to a jump cancel combo that involves j.C can setup a reset. Example: 2A > 5B > 5C > j.A(2) > j.B > j.C... charge the j.C then throw upon landing. Primarily useful near corner if the 2A combo would not kill, and the reset throw combo will.
- 214B->delay 4B on tall, standing, blocking opponents can be cancelled to EXS Dark Lotus(j.236C) for a fake crossup. Opponents switching their block direction as Hyde passes back over will be hit by j.236C. This can work when Hyde passes over the opponent with the delayed 4B.
- 66C done from very close can pass through many wake-up reversals.
- Corner 2C knockdown gives Hyde his strongest oki.
- Jump cancelable 2C can lead to safejumps. Every reversal in the game can be safejumped, except Eltnum 623C. j.A is easiest to time and must be used for very fast reversals. The opponent can delay tech to avoid it, but they will be disadvantage upon teching. A delay tech will be caught by OTG 2A following the 2C as long as the preceding combo didn't have too many floor splats and wall bounces. The OTG 2A should be input as 2A~623A so that 623A combos on hit and doesn't come out on whiff if they teched. Hyde is at advantage if they tech through the 2A as well. The safejump can be coupled with empty jump lows, throws, and anti-throws.
- Air Dark Lotus(j.236B) placed at about medium jump height following 2C knockdown can be safe to certain wake-up reversals and punish them. Reversals that move forward significantly will not hit Hyde as he floats forward in corner, and the j.236B often punishes them.
Hyde has many options for dealing with an opponent's offensive. Escaping it to return to neutral or begin your own offensive will take proper use of shielding, an understanding of the attacker's options, and strong assessment of risk reward with his invulnerable attacks.
- Shielding can create gaps in strings to more easily escape or punish them. Gaps in pressure can be punished by one of Hyde’s many invulnerable attacks, namely Pale Bringer(41236C) which leads to high damage combos with Chain Shift.
- Punishing Throws
- If you smell a throw coming, you can punish them in similar ways as on offense. Tiger knee Dark Lotus(j.236A/B), assault/jump attacks, or invulnerable attacks are options. Vacant Shift(214A) is another option since it makes Hyde airborne very early in the startup. If you opt to attempt to tech the throw instead, you have various options for that as well.
- Throw Tech Option-Selects
- 3A+C+D will tech if thrown and perform 3C otherwise. Useful on opponents baiting throw techs with assault or other airborne methods. Loses to delayed throws, attacks which counter it's startup, or opponent causing it to whiff then punishing.
- 623A+B+D will tech if thrown and perform 623B otherwise. A more risky version of 3A+C+D, but only loses to the opponent blocking or avoiding 623B and punishing.
- Pale Bringer (41236C)
- Pale Bringer has long horizontal range and is fully invulnerable. If Chain Shifted it leads to high damage combos. It should only be done on reaction to gaps or attacks since it is highly punishable on block. A common situation where Pale Bringer can be useful is when opponents throw fireballs from a distance during pressure.
Note: Damage listed is base damage.
- 2A(x N) > 5B > 5C > 2C > 236B -> 236A > Delay DC > 214B(3) Damage 2323 (Vorpal: 2549)
- Simple and easy BNB off of 2A. Confirmable off of any hit.
- 2A(x N) > 5B > 2C > 5[C] > j.B > j.C > j.6C > run DC 214B->4B->4B Damage 2602 (Vorpal: 2856)
- Standard midscreen combo with great corner carry (1/2 to 2/3 screen)
- 2A(x N) > 5B > 2C > 5[C] > j.B > j.C > j.6C > run DC 623A > 214C/623C Damage 3000 (Vorpal: 3292)
- Meter version of above combo.
- 2A > 2A > 5C > j.B > j.C > j.6C > 66C (crosses through) > 236A/B->236A > DB > 214B->4B->4B Damage 2444 (Vorpal 2683)
- Side swap combo for when your back is close to corner, works on stand hit only.
- 2A > 2C > 5C > delay J.C > J.6C > run J.A(2) > J.C> J.6C> run 5C > 214B(3) Damage 2399 (Vorpal 2635)
- Full screen corner carry combo.
- 5B 5C 2C 214B Delay 4B Delay 4B 3C Delay JC J6C run JA(2) JB JC 6B(2) 214B(3) Damage 3068 (Vorpal 3367)
- Provides about 1/2 to 2/3 corner carry.
- 5B 6B ic5C Delay 214B(3) 2C 236B 236A DC 214B(3) Damage 3169 (Vorpal 3480)
- 2B 5C...
- damage. notes.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > delay 236B->236A > delay 66C > 214B->4B->4B
- 2546. Absolute max range 6B confirm.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > delay 236B->236A > delay 66C > 214B->4B->4B > 41236C
- 3075. Meter version of above combo.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 5C > 214B->4B->4B
- 2719. Far range 6B confirm.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 5C > 214B->4B->4B > 41236C
- 3126. Meter version of above combo. Does more damage from closer hits or if opponent is brought into corner.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 2C > 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 214B->4B->4B
- 3152. Closer range 6B confirm.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 2C > 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 623A > 214C/623C
- 3637 / 3712. Meter version of above combo.
- 3C > 623B/623
- 912 / 1317 (varies with height). For max height or lower air hit.
- 3C > nj.[C] > 66C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C > 5C > 214B->4B->4B
- 3112. For medium height or lower air hit.
- 3C > nj.[C] > 66C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C > 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 623A > 214C
- 3797. Meter version of above combo.
- 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 214B->delay->delay 4B > 3B > 5C > 214B->4B->4B
- 3033. Far range Orb confirm.
- 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 214B->delay->delay 4B > 3B > 5C > 214B->4B->4B
- 3526. Meter version of above combo. Does more damage from closer hits or if opponent is brought into corner.
- 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C > 5C > 214B->4B->4B
- 3192. Closer range Orb confirm.
- 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 214C
- 3636. Meter version of above combo.
- 214A>delay 4A...
- damage. notes.
- 41236C(2) CS > 5[C] > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 2C > 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 214B->4B->4B
- 4122. Pale Bringer CS confirm.
- 41236C(2) CS > 5[C] > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 2C > 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 623A > 214C/623C
- 4662 / 4737. Meter version of above combo.
2A (or any assault/jump-in)
- 2A > 5B > 2C > 5[C] > B+C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C
- 2606. 2A confirm into 2C okizeme.
- 2A > 5B > 2C > 5[C] > B+C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 214C/623C
- 3463 / 3538. Meter version of above combo.
- 2A > 5B > 2C > 5[C] > B+C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 236C > 3C > 623C
- 4158. Max meter version of above combo.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > B+C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C
- 3271. 6B confirm into 2C okizeme.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > B+C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 214C/623C
- 4003 / 4078. Meter version of above combo.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > B+C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 236C > 3C > 623C
- 4675. Max meter version of above combo.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 5B > B+C > 236A/B>236A > dash 3B > 2C
- 3164. 6B confirm for a hit farther out of corner into 2C okizeme.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 5B > B+C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 214C/623C
- 3985 / 4060. Meter version of above combo.
- 6B(1) > 5[C] > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 5B > B+C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 236C > 3C > 623C
- 4665. Max meter version of above combo.
- 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C
- 2690. Far Orb confirm into 2C okizeme.
- 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 214C/623C
- 3686 / 3761. Meter version of above combo.
- 236A/B->236A > delay 66C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 236C > 3C > 623C
- 4389. Max meter version of above combo.
- 236A/B->236A > (dash) 5C > B+C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C
- 3015. Closer Orb confirm into 2C okizeme.
- 236A/B->236A > (dash) 5C > B+C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 214C/623C
- 3906 / 3981. Meter version of above combo.
- 236A/B->236A > (dash) 5C > B+C > 214B->delay 4B->delay 4B > 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 236C > 3C > 623C
- 4586. Max meter version of above combo.
- Throw > delay 3B > 2C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C
- 1727. Throw into 2C okizeme.
- Throw > delay 3B > 2C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 214C/623C
- 2380 / 2455. Meter version of above combo.
- Throw > delay 3B > 2C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 236C > 3C > 623C
- 3036. Max meter version of above combo.
- Throw > B+C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C
- 1840. Alternate combo using B+C.
- Throw > B+C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 214C/623C
- 2544 / 2619. Meter version of above combo.
- Throw > B+C > 236A/B->236A > dash 3B > 2C > 5C > 623A > 236C > 3C > 623C
- 3208. Max meter version of above combo.
|Black Eclipse||Twinkle White||Darkness Tempest||Light Forest||Nightmare|
|Red Pearl||Desert Wolf||Sea Water||Moonlight||Justice Rose|
|Blau Blitz||Sunlight Red||Vortex Galaxy||Cremisi Grotta||Holiness Star|
|Rosa Descendiente||Juillet Averse||Soul Lover||Caldo Trrente||Viridis Regulus|
|Shinku||Blanche Diable||Ocean Arctique||Citrus Fresh||Guilty Thorn|
|Schon Gift||Nutty Pastel||Clear Gale||Santana||Dark Matter|