Samurai Shodown V SP/Rera
Delivering Nature's punishment one wolf headbutt at a time.
Rera is a unique, agile character who can ride on her wolf Shikuru for an alternate moveset with different properties, like canceling her normals into dashes or backdashes, or even using the dismount as a double jump to escape safely or trick the opponent. She has a lot of tools, and playing her requires a lot of moving around to bait the opponent into getting hit, so play her if you feel that's your kind of playstyle.
- Fast movement speed all around.
- j.AB's hitbox and damage are both stupidly good.
- Wolf dash is extremely versatile: can dash cancel normals, cross through opponents, turn around instantly after crossing up, and block immediately.
- Wolf dismount can be used as a double jump.
- Combos are really easy to hit confirm and do solid damage.
- An infinite combo, if you're good enough to do it.
- Normals don't have long range, making it difficult to punish some attacks.
- Fewer defensive options when riding the wolf, but no specials or combos when not.
- Has trouble forcing damage against someone willing to just turtle up in the corner.
- Damage taken: 115%
- Rage duration: 10 seconds
- Amount to rage: 27
- Walk speed: 688 (wolf is 1024)
- Backwalk speed: 640
- Dash speed: 1792 (wolf is 2128)
- Jump duration: 45 frames (wolf diagonal jumps are 40 frames, neutral jump is still 45)
- Width: 20
- Throw range: 8
|Deflect - 216D:
|Weapon Pickup - 5A:
|Taunt Disarm - Start Start Start:
|Kamui Fumukesupu - j.2C: (can be used unarmed)
|Ookami ni Noru - 214C: (can be used unarmed)
|Rera Kishima Tek - j.[1/2/3/4/6]C: (can be used unarmed)
|Nubeki Kamui Shikite - 236CD - WFT:
- w.5S ...
- These apply for all wolf slashes. w.5A/w.5B cancels are considerably tighter, while w.5AB does more damage.
- ... xx w.66S
- Standard and easy, sets up a far knockdown which gives you time to get off the wolf or set up an oki situation. This is what you'll be using most of the time.
- ... xx w.412S xx 6C
- 6C cancel must be immediate, and you'll be punished if you don't do it. For when you need damage, but it puts you in a bad position.
- ... xx w.623S xx 9C
- Tall characters only, slightly more damage than the above. Most damaging non-WFT option, but again not a great position on landing.
- w.5AB ...
- ... xx w.236CD
- The only way to combo into WFT, you'll want to do this if you ever land a w.5AB while raged.
- ... xx w.66(crosspast) 8 w.5B xx w.669AB w.5B xx w.669AB w.5B xx w.669AB ...
- The infamous infinite. Works on everyone. If they're tall you can do 66 j9.AB instead of w.669AB, otherwise you must hit 9 and AB on the exact same frame.
- w.j.236S xx 9C
- w.412S xx 6C
- w.623S xx 9C
- For that extra little bit of damage.
- 66AB 2BC
- 66C 2BC
- 3C 2BC
- Rera's 2BC is incredibly slow and does very little damage, but you can follow up for a little more damage this way.
- 6C xx 8BC
- Connects near corner only.
- 66B Issen
- Overhead, can't be rage exploded.
- Rera is good both on and off the wolf, but in different ways. Learning to differentiate between when each is useful is a very good thing to be able to do.
- Off the wolf
- She has throws, D button actions, deflects, can triangle jump, and regains Kenki Gauge normally. Her strengths are in her agile movement, quick pokes with 5A/2A/2C/66C, long range 5AB, an easy knockdown punish with 6C's incredibly fast startup, and her fast jump with her godlike j.AB and easy knockdown j.2C.
- Her poking game is good to keep opponents on their toes, setting up tick throws and other shenanigans, and the speed of her jump along with the amazing hitbox with j.AB means it's very difficult for players to deal with her directly in the air. Don't hesitate to just walk up to them and annoy them into getting hit or baiting out fodder for deflects, but be careful to not get deflected yourself.
- Despite this, her dashing game is not very good. While she can do a very quick dash up throw with it, which is a great punishment tool, her dashing attacks are not very good so players are often willing to challenge her if they see it coming. 66A is a long range poke that is very nice if it hits but is horrible on block, so use with caution. 66C is a good tool for stopping all kinds of obnoxious attacks, since she slides pretty far and has a good hitbox, but it doesn't hurt much.
- On the wolf
- She can get on the wolf by doing 214C from neutral while she is close to the wolf. While riding the wolf, she doesn't have any of the stuff mentioned in the above section, but she can cancel all of her normals, even w.2AB and w.5BC, into specials, dashes or backdashes. She can also block instantly from a dash, has invincible reversals in w.412S and w.623S, has limited air control with w.j.236S and w.j.C, dismounting for what is effectively a double jump, can use her WFT, and of course still has her godlike w.j.AB. Since the Kenki Gauge will not recover when she is on the wolf, she needs to get off after doing damage to regain it.
- It's very important to know that you can cancel all of her normals, even the sweep, into dashing or backdashing. This gives her a lot of mobility most characters would not have. Her overhead can't be canceled into it, but it's safe on block so backdash is generally free afterwards.
- w.412S is an often overlooked move. Its startup is very fast and invincible to all attacks, but it covers a very far distance in a short time, which can be used to punish whiffed attacks or obvious dashes/backdashes. At far range it's actually advantageous on block, and is good for closing the gap if they can't react in time. Closer up, it's not safe on block and you're almost guaranteed to be thrown. You absolutely must hitconfirm it, though, because if it does connect it not only will not knock down, it will leave you at point blank range to be thrown, so you need to be able to hit confirm it to cancel into 6C. A problem with this move is when it catches outstretched hitboxes, you can't combo with it, so be careful.
- w.236CD, her WFT, has much less invincibility but crosses the screen much faster, making it good to beat all kinds of whiffs, blocked attacks, or bad jumpins. It's actually not punishable by heavy attacks, so unless the opponent has a very quick and damaging combo the worst you're going to eat is a throw punish.
- Jumping backwards into j.w.236S is a good bait for attacks if you're close to the opponent, since becuase of its speed it's sort of like a confirmable punish. Doing a jumpin attack and then immediately jumping backwards to test to see their reactions can help, but don't do it too often or they'll mash out antiairs.
- Canceling any of the wolf specials into the separation 4C or 1C is a good way to escape, but much of the cast can punish with heavies so you're sometimes better off just eating the throw. Alternatively, you can start an attack and then cancel it early, before it connects, to fake out or evade projectiles, e.g. w.623S xx 3C.
- The wolf dash can cross through the opponent, and unlike most dashes you do not automatically turn around when you do a dash normal. Normally you'd have to spend time turning around, but she can instantly change direction by tapping 8, which will also push you outside of the opponent's collision box if you're still inside, letting you set up an instant mixup with w.5BC or w.2AB, possibly setting up the backhit infinite off of w.5B. You do need to be careful of being thrown when doing this, though, so you should be aware of your opponent's throw range and willingness to mash it out.
- Trying for a crossup off of a blocked attack is generally not a good idea, because it gives the opponent easy timing to throw you. w.5AB's cancel period is later than w.5A/w.5B, making it even easier for you to be thrown out of it, so use sparingly. It's better to try it out in the open, because they won't know if you're going for it or something else. Even better, if you space yourself correctly their throw mash will cause them to hop instead, leaving them open.
- Finally, the dismounting the wolf for a double jump is one of her most useful tools, allowing you to bait out DPs, avoid many obvious attacks, or simply change your angle. Be creative!
- The infinite
- Rera is one of the few characters with a genuine infinite combo, done off of a back hit. Her Kenki Gauge will empty out doing this, so it doesn't do as much damage as you'd hope, but it can eventually kill. You can start it by either doing w.5AB xx 66 8 w.5A to get behind them, or simply start it with a normal backhit w.5A.
- Against tall characters, like Zankuro or Gaira, you can do: w.5A xx 66 9 j.AB land w.5A xx 66 9 j.AB land etc... Which is not too difficult to do and is a true infinite.
- Against shorter characters, you have to abuse an input glitch: w.5A xx 66 9AB w.5A xx 66 9AB etc... 9 and AB must all be pressed on the exact same frame. This glitch will cancel the start of the jump into w.5AB, allowing you to dash cancel from a grounded normal into another grounded normal almost instantly.
- It's a good tool, but if you can't do it don't sweat it.
Damage and defense
- Rera has a variety of ground punishers available to her, both on and off the wolf:
- 66 throw - Rera's dash speed is very quick, and if you can't get something with one of your other attacks, this is always a good option.
- 5AB - Boring, but it's fast, good range, and does a lot of damage. Be careful about using this after a deflect, because it doesn't hit all that far.
- n.5AB - Same, but much faster startup. Do not use outside of a guaranteed punish, because the first hit can juggle in a way that's very bad for you.
- 66C 2BC - This is for those times you can dash in but are not able to get close enough to throw. Doesn't hurt much, but nets you a knockdown.
- w.5S xx w.412S xx 6C - Quick and painful. Works for any of the wolf slashes, with AB doing the most but A/B being faster. Figure out which you think is more likely to hit.
- w.5S xx w.66S - Easy to confirm, forces a far knockdown which gives you time to get off and recover your sword gauge.
- w.412S xx 6C - This crosses the screen deceptively fast, so it can be used to punish things normally very difficult for Rera to deal with.
- Antiair tools:
- jump j.AB - The hitbox on this is godly enough that it will beat out or stuff a lot of things they can do, so don't worry too much about being hit by it.
- 2AB - Slow, but against some characters the tip will beat anything they can do clean. Don't use it on anyone with a good downwards smash.
- 66AB - Low damage but the angle is weird and it comes out very quickly, so it's your best option on crossunder.
- w.66 8 w.5AB - Crossunder shenanigans. Safe but the timing is tricky.
- w.623S xx 9C - Works, but is not the recommended option because it leaves you in a poor situation. It does take you off of the wolf, though, which is useful if you need the gauge refilled.
|5A||6||10||2||21||1~5(5) / 10~13(4)||1~9(9) / 12~18(7)||-1||-1||-3||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|5B||11||15||2||36||3~8(6)||6~14(9)||-3||+5||-9||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|5AB||28||14||2||53||1(1)||7~13(7)||-2||+8||-21||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|2A||5||5||6||16||1~2(2) / 5~10(6)||-||-1||-1||-3||Low||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|2B||5, 5, 7||15||11||60||1~14(14)||-||-1||+7||-9||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(med)|
|2AB||4, 25||17||2||54||1~4(4)||-||+4||+14||-21||Low||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|n.5A||4||5||5||16||1~2(2) / 5~9(5)||1~4(4)||-1||-1||-3||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|n.5B||8||8||6||27||1~3(3) / 8~18(11)||6~7(2)||-1||+7||-9||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|n.5AB||5, 25||10||2||57||1(1)||2~9(8) / 12~19(8)||+0||+10||-21||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|n.2A||5||5||6||16||1~2(2) / 5~10(6)||-||-1||-1||-3||Low||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|n.2B||5, 5, 7||15||11||60||1~14(14)||-||-1||+7||-9||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(med)|
|n.2AB||4, 25||17||2||54||1~4(4)||-||+4||+14||-21||Low||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|6C||3, 3, 2||4||1||46||4~6(3)||-||KD||KD||-32||Mid||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|j.A||5||5||6||28||x||-||--||--||--||High||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|j.B||10||6||4||27||x||-||--||--||--||High||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|j.AB||24||9||6||40||x||-||--||--||--||High||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|5BC||14||20||6||40||x||-||KD||KD||-14||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|u.5BC||14||30||9||50||x||-||KD||KD||-14||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|66A||5||5||4||18||x||-||-3||-3||-21||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|66B||14||21||4||43||11~14(4)||-||KD||KD||-17||High||Medium attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|66AB||5, 5, 5, 6||6||8||69||x||-||KD||KD||-54||Mid||Knockdown attack|
|66C||5||4||10||31||1~3(3) / 25~31(7)||-||KD||KD||-22||Mid||Knockdown attack|
|u.66C||6||4||10||31||1~3(3) / 25~31(7)||-||KD||KD||-22||Mid||Knockdown attack|
|Kamui Fumukesupu - j.2C||8||14||12||35||x||-||KD||KD||--||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|Ookami ni Noru - 214C||x||x||x||29||x||-||--||--||--||Mid|
|Ookami kara Oriru - w.C||x||x||x||46||x||-||--||--||--||Mid|
|w.5A / w.5B||10||9||2||30||14~30(17)||-||-3||+5||-16||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|w.5AB||26||15||4||50||23~50(28)||-||+2||+12||-30||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|w.2A / w.2B||10||9||2||30||14~30(17)||-||-3||+5||-16||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|w.j.A / w.j.B||10||4||2||26||1~26(26)||-||--||--||--||High||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|w.j.AB||25||14||4||39||1~10(10) / 18~39(22)||-||--||--||--||High||Heavy attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|w.BC||12||20||2||30||1~13(13) / 24-30(7)||-||KD||KD||-4||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
1-12f feet invincible
|w.u.BC||12||20||2||29||1~13(13)||-||KD||KD||-3||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|w.u.5S||12||9||4||32||1~8(8) / 13~27(15)||-||-5||+3||-18||Mid||Medium attack|
|w.u.2S||12||9||3||31||1~8(8) / 12~31(20)||-||-4||+4||-17||Mid||Medium attack|
|Mer Shikite - w.412S||19||11||23||52||11~33(23)||-||-18||-10||-12||Mid||Medium attack|
1-10f fully invincible
|Kanto Shikite - w.623S||22||11||20||86||11~30(20)||-||KD||KD||-69||Mid||Knockdown attack|
1-10f hit invincible
|Imeru Shikite - w.j.236S||17||14||x||x||x||-||KD||KD||-13||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|Bunri Kougeki - ... 7/9C||8||17||9||x||x||-||KD||KD||??||Mid||Knockdown attack|
|Bunri Kougeki - ... 4/6C||8||17||8||x||x||-||KD||KD||??||Mid||Knockdown attack|
|Bunri Kougeki - ... 1/3C||8||17||x||x||x||-||KD||KD||??||Mid||Knockdown attack|
|Nubeki Kamui Shikite - 236CD||30||14||x||x||x||-||KD||KD||-13||Mid||Knockdown attack|
1-13f feet invincible