Samurai Shodown V SP/Rasetsumaru
Rasetsu at first glance looks like a weird version of Haohmaru, but he plays completely different. The first thing you notice is that his 5AB basically sucks. The next things you see are that his WFT is ridiculously awesome and he can combo all his pokes into it. Because of this, he is extremely scary when raged, but has to hold his own on zoning when not.
- WFT is easily best in the game.
- All of his B pokes combo into shoulder, even at far range, which you can then combo into a pursuit or his WFT.
- Shoulder is a great movement tool, gets you in quickly and is safe at far ranges.
- Still has Haoh's j.AB and j.C.
- Short rage period means you need to capitalize quickly.
- Relying on rage makes it more difficult to build the Issen gauge up.
- 5AB being slow means it's hard to punish at range or bait out the opponent.
- Laggy normals in general.
- Projectiles are not very useful.
- Damage taken: 110%
- Rage duration: 8 seconds
- Amount to rage: 15
- Walk speed: 544
- Backwalk speed: 480
- Dash speed: 1600
- Jump duration: 44 frames
- Width: 24
- Throw range: 16
| Deflect - 216D:
| Weapon Pickup - 5A:
| Taunt Disarm - Start Start Start:
| Senpuuretsuzan - 236S:
| Senpuuha - 236C:
| Nagi Yaiba - 623S:
| Gouha - 623C: (can use when unarmed)
| Shitatari - 214C:
| Tenhadankuuretsuzan - 236CD - WFT:
- 623C 8BC/2BC/236C
- Works at all but the furthest ranges, does about a throw's worth of damage. Really nice.
- 623C 236CD
- Easy way of comboing into WFT. Landing random confirmable shoulder is always a good way to get this off.
- n.5AB xx 623C ...
- The second hit of n.5AB is cancelable, and combos right into 623C. This is his most damaging combo starter, so get to it.
- (5B or n.5B or 2B or n.2B) xx 623C ...
- Works even at the maximum range of the attacks, which makes all of these great tools. 5B hits really far, 2B has a ton of active frames, n.2B starts up almost instantly. Punish accordingly!
- (n.5B or n.2B) xx 623S dash xx 2BC
- Does more damage than the 623C 8BC followup, but can only be used at close range.
- 236S ...
- Tornado has full juggle, so you can follow it up with all kinds of stuff.
- ... 8BC
- Simplest and least damaging followup. Forces knockdown.
- ... 5AB
- This does the most damage, though it's difficult to time.
- ... j.AB
- Doesn't hurt as much as 5AB, but sets you up for a reset mixup on landing. Works on all distances - preferable follow up.
- ... 623C 8BC
- About the same damage as j.AB, forces knockdown.
- ... 236CD
- Everybody loves WFT combos.
- ... 623C 236CD
- Timing is harder, but does more damage.
- (5A or n.5A) xx 236CD
- This adds a small amount of damage to the WFT. Useful if you can't get anything heavier out.
- 66C 2BC
- Standard knockdown into followup. Does more damage than you would expect.
- 623S 8BC
- Counter hit only. Standard follow up after successful catch.
- 623C u.66S dash 8BC/2BC
- Fancy unarmed combo. Without 8BC/2BC you are free to get sword back.
- (vs air) j.AB x n
- The usual for when you can't wait for them to come down to get Issen'd.
- 623C j.AB x n
- Sets up a non-explodable combo. Handy but you probably won't have much charge for it.
- 623C Issen
- Sets up a non-explodable Issen combo.
- Backhit 66A x n 236CD
- Classic. You can do some more 66A reps but timing is very strict and at max range 236CD wont combo.
- Rasetsu's core game is based around his rage meter. When not raged, he's a pretty okay zoner with poor antiair options, that can hitconfirm random pokes into good damage and knockdowns. With it, those random pokes become combos into WFT and he can punish more or less anything he blocks on the ground on reaction. For this reason he has trouble building up meter for the Issen gauge, but that doesn't really matter.
- 5B and 2B are the two pokes you will want to be throwing out constantly. Both of them combo into 623C, which in turn can combo into 8BC or 236CD. Learn this combo, learn the ranges, and fish for it any chance you get.
- 623C is pretty much godlike. If you throw it out at maximum range it gets Rasetsumaru in safely and is basically safe on block to all but the fastest attacks. It also goes over 2C spam. If you're near the corner and feeling gutsy, you can follow up a hit with n.2A to reset them for a throw mixup.
- His counter move, 623S, works a little strangely. It doesn't catch the weapons themselves, it catches their outstretched body, so they can walk into it and be hit. There's a small period of upper body invulnerability, but it doesn't last all the way until the catch period, so be careful. When it connects it switches to the attack, which is fully invincible on startup.
- When you hit someone with one of his 236S tornadoes, they are in a full juggle state until they land, so you can go into WFT, 623C, j.AB, whatever you like. j.AB will set up a reset on the ground, so you can go into a throw or 623S mixup.
- His WFT is pretty much the best in the game. Startup is jab speed and invincible, catches from far range, can't be rage exploded. Punish anything with it, catch any obvious approach with it. But most importantly, combo into it from 623C off of random pokes. However, its hitbox makes it poor antiair, so don't try to catch them carelessly.
Damage and defense
- n.5AB xx 623C whatever - If you're close enough to do it, go for it.
- 5B xx 623C whatever - Solid range. Works at close range too.
- 2B xx 623C whatever - More often than not, this is your fastest option.
- n.2B xx 623C whatever - Sensing a pattern yet? This is basically jab speed startup, and can be used to punish things hardly anyone else can.
- 236CD - Huge range, jab speed startup. If you get an opportunity for this, don't hesitate to throw it out.
- jump j.AB - Because of Rasetsu's quick jump and fast attacks, you can stuff a lot of things this way. There isn't much range, though, so you might get hit.
- 623S - Works against characters without strong downwards strikes.
- 66AB - Hits high up, so it'll stuff nearly all jumps. Forces a knockdown, too.
|5A||6||8||2||27||1~3(3) / 8~23(16)||6~7(2) / 10(1)||-7||-7||-3||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|5B||11||15||6||39||15~20(6)||12~14(3)||-6||+2||-9||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|5AB||28||25||2||63||1~8(8) / 58~63(6)||20~24(4) / 27~30(4)||-1||+9||-21||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|2A||6||11||1||39||1~6(6) / 11~39(29)||-||-17||-17||-3||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|2B||9||11||2||31||11~31(21)||-||-2||+6||-9||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|2AB||18, 12||18||6||79||1~3(3)||-||-4||+6||-21||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|n.5A||5||5||5||19||5~9(5) / 12~15(4)||-||-4||-4||-3||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|n.5B||8||9||2||30||9~28(20)||7~8(2)||-3||+5||-9||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|n.5AB||21, 9||12||2||50||28~29(2)||24~25(2)||-3||-3||-21||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|n.2A||5||5||7||17||5~11(7) / 14~17(4)||-||-2||-2||-3||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|n.2B||7||5||14||25||5~18(14)||-||-2||+6||-9||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|n.2AB||18, 12||18||6||79||1~3(3)||-||-4||+6||-21||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|j.A||6||10||1||26||x||-||--||--||--||High||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|j.B||9||14||3||38||x||-||--||--||--||High||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|j.AB||23||13||1||22||x||-||--||--||--||High||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|5BC||16||20||4||41||x||-||KD||KD||-15||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|u.5BC||6||20||13||49||1~9(9)||-||KD||KD||-23||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|66B||12||23||3||59||13~14(2)||-||KD||KD||-31||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|Senpuuretsuzan - 236A||4, 2||36||x||59||x||-||KD||KD||-11||Mid|
|Senpuuretsuzan - 236B||4, 2||41||x||62||x||-||KD||KD||-9||Mid|
|Senpuuretsuzan - 236AB||4, 2||46||x||68||x||-||KD||KD||-9||Mid|
|Senpuuha - 236C||5, 1x4, 12||29||x||71||x||-||KD||KD||-19||Mid|| Weak attack Knockdown attack|
1-20f throw invincible
|Nagi Yaiba - 623S||18, 5||15||21||52||x||-||KD||KD||-21||Mid|| Knockdown attack|
1-11f upper body invincible
|Gouha - 623C||8||15||9||35||x||-||KD||KD||-14||Mid|| Knockdown attack|
1-9f feet invincible
|Shitatari - 214C||36||x||x||79||x||-||--||--||--||Mid||Fixed damage|
|Tenkadankuuretsuzan - 236CD||30||5||1||62||x||-||KD||KD||-48||Mid|| 1-4f fully invincible|
5f below knees invincible