Samurai Shodown V SP/Liu Yunfei
Kicked off from a Chinese wire-fu movie set for one too many lectures.
Yunfei's focus is on his really wild movement options. He's the only character in the game with airdashes, and they're all good. His actual attacks are average at best, although he has a solid ranged high/low mixup. His rage balance easily give him the strongest time slow and Issen in the game, which is to the benefit of his ability to make the opponent edgy. Playing him requires a lot of creativity and trickery, so if that's your bag he's the old dude for you.
His main weaknesses stem from his difficulty in dealing with wide area type moves, such as Genjuro's DP, being grounded due to fear of the opponent's time slow, and simply being outpaced in the damage war.
- Has a ridiculous amount of air control, between his airdashes, footstomp, and dive attacks.
- Command grab is not only invincible to throws itself, but drains the opponent of his rage. Even drains rage explosion!
- Charged wave is very, very scary.
- Rage balance is heavily geared towards absurd meditation.
- Sweet victory dance.
- For all his movement he's still pretty easy to knock out out of the air.
- The limitations on his airdashes prevent you from trying more elaborate tricks.
- Has difficulty forcing damage.
- Doesn't really get to rage much.
- Damage taken: 115%
- Rage duration: 60 seconds
- Amount to rage: 51
- Walk speed: 416
- Backwalk speed: 336
- Dash speed: 1600
- Jump duration: 44 frames
- Width: 8
- Throw range: 20
Yunfei has no distinction between near and far slashes.
|Pursuit - 2BC
|Heavy Pursuit - 8BC
|Deflect - 216D:
|Weapon Pickup - 5A:
|Taunt Disarm - Start Start Start:
|Ten'i Daihou - 236A/236B:
|Tensatsu Daisai - 236AB:
|Tenkoku Houra - 623C:
|Tensui Choukan - j.[1/2/3/4/6]C: (can be used unarmed)
|Tenmou Konji - j.236AB / j.214AB, j.236CD / j.214CD:
|Tenki Shichiyou: Tsuki - 214A (can be used unarmed)
|Tenki Shichiyou: Hi - 214B (can be used unarmed)
|Tenki Shichiyou: Mizu - j.236A / j.214A (can be used unarmed)
|Tenki Shichiyou: Ki - j.236B / j.214B (can be used unarmed)
|Tenki Shichiyou: Kon - j.236C / j.214C (can be used unarmed)
|Tenki Shichiyou: Do - j.236D / j.214D (can be used unarmed)
|Tenki Shichiyou: Nichi - j.AC (can be used unarmed)
|Tenkai Unri - 236CD - WFT
- 2AB ...
- ... xx 8BC
- Version that always works, regardless of where the other guy is.
- ... xx j.236AB 2BC
- More damaging variant, but can only be done on characters on or near the ground. You can 2BC when it's into the corner only.
- 5AB ...
- ... xx 236A 2BC
- This actually does LESS damage than just letting 5AB finish, but it knocks down.
- ... xx 236AB 8BC
- While it does need charge, this is the only way to combo into 236AB and it REALLY HURTS. This is by far Yunfei's strongest combo, but unfortunately it's really easy to explode out of.
- ... xx 236CD
- The only way to combo into your WFT, this does about 55% damage. Really nice.
- If canceled immediately, the game will freeze for two seconds for no apparent reason.
- 6C 8BC
- Hits low, high range, solid damage, great mixup with 5BC or just to catch people who like to dash forwards a lot.
- 5C(first hit only) j.236AB 2BC
- Only works at the specific range where the first kick connects and the second does not. Decent midscreen poke punish. Can only 2BC in the corner.
- (vs air) j.AB j.AB j.AB ...
- The usual when you can't cram an Issen in when they fall. With Yunfei you're almost always going to have enough charge to wait their fall out for the Issen.
- 5C j.AB j.AB j.AB ...
- Launches, can't be rage exploded. Timing on the followup can be a pain, but the range and speed is really nice. Great punish if you think they'll recover quickly.
- 2AB j.AB j.AB j.AB ...
- Launches, can't be rage exploded. Neutral jump after the 2AB and wait until you're coming down to hit with j.AB.
- 2AB Issen
- Launches, can't be rage exploded. Useful!
- Once you're in the air, you can use any three airdashes, but not the same one twice, before landing. So you can do j.236A j.236B j.236C, but not j.236A j.236A, and not j.236A j.236B j.236C j.236D. Keep this in mind.
- To get into the air, you can do one of the following:
- 214A - This takes forever to cancel and puts you in a bad position. You probably don't want to use it.
- 214B - Good way of baiting the opponent's forward movement. Treat it like a backroll for airdashes.
- tk.236whatever (eg 2369C) - Lets you do an airdash directly off the ground. This is very useful for the C and A airdashes for advancing/mixing up the opponent. The D airdash is okay to escape with.
- 2AB - Very powerful upwards slash that is safely cancelable on whiff. Use it just out of range of the opponent to catch them throwing out attacks or trying to jump.
- 5C - Nice set of kicks that sends you a decent height into the air and launches nearby opponents. Great for setting up mixups with a j.236C followup. Note that landing from the airdash leaves you at frame disadvantage.
- 66C - Low hitstun kick that's cancelable with air moves. Once again useful for setting up mixups.
- 7 / 8 / 9 - Just jump. Neutral jump is as always a great way of confirming the opponent's movement.
- 5BC kara cancel - Similar to doing a TK motion really. Not really that useful.
- Backdash - Cancel window is pretty tight, so also not very useful.
- Aside from the airdashes, you have three additional ways of controlling your movement in the air:
- j.236AB - Diagonal dash slice forwards into the ground. In combination with other moves to confirm you can use this to hit people who carelessly use laggy moves around you. Optionally you can use this instead of landing from an airdash, if you're expecting them to mash on throw, because it will hit them out of it. Not safe on block and leaves you point blank, so be careful here.
- j.236CD - Diagonal dash slice backwards into the ground. Great for escaping or crossup mixups. And not much else. If blocked you are in for a world of hurt since it gives the opponent a free backhit. Use with caution.
- j.AC - Footstomp is the one you will probably want to be making the most use of, since it has the best opportunities for faking out the opponent and doing crossup shenanigans.
- Above all, be creative with your movement. Your goal is to not be predictable and to get the opponent to want to try to smack you when you're not there.
- Yunfei takes the longest time to rage, easily more than a round's worth of damage to get there. When he does finally rage, it lasts for a whopping 60 seconds, the longest in the game. This means you've got two basic routes for what you can do with the charge.
- Max the concentration gauge.
- This is your best bet for most matchups, since it allows you to get access to time slow very early. This forces the opponent into being defensive, since if Yunfei catches him he can launch into a combo that can't be bursted from and will do a LOT of damage. Very useful in shutting down offensive or fidgety characters.
- Max the rage meter.
- Since the rage lasts a really long time it gives a substantial damage bonus to everything you do. You do have to be careful about the Kenki Gauge here, though, since it does still take time to recharge.
- The WFT itself is not boosted by rage damage, so it's not something you'll want to use unless you think it will cinch the win for you. Even if you have the opportunity to land it, the extra rage time is usually better for you. Stick to 236AB.
- This is worth noting because of its sheer range. Yunfei can run this mixup on opponents at least a full character width away.
- 6C 8BC - Hits low. Simple combo that confirms for you. Long range, comes out surprisingly fast for its range, recovers quickly. Can be used to stuff forward dashes and other things, generally really safe to use.
- 5BC - Hits high. Long range overhead. Startup isn't so great, but it's difficult to see coming and beats out throw mash.
Damage and defense
- 2AB xx j.236AB 2BC - If they're wide open for it, you know what to do.
- 5AB xx 236AB 8BC - When you're charged up and they're open for it, this is the most damage you can get.
- 5AB xx 236CD - This is actually not the best of ideas, because Yunfei is often better off just staying raged. Good finisher, though.
- 6C 8BC - Reasonably fast, forces knockdown, isn't explodable.
- 623C - Doesn't hurt, but draining rage and charging the big wave is always nice.
- 2AB xx 8BC - Not good against characters with strong downwards swipes, but smacks them out of the air well.
- Neutral jump j.AB - Always a good option.
|5A||5||12||3||29||1~11(11)||-||-7||-7||-3||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|5B||10||9||4||31||1~2(2)||7~8(2)||-4||+4||-9||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|5AB||10, 19||17||3||69||17~22(6)||15~16(2) / 19~22(3)||-3||+7||-21||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|2B||11||10||4||31||1~9(9)||6~9(4)||-3||+5||-9||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|5C||4, 4||9||4||42||18~26(9)||-||KD||KD||-19||Mid||Weak attack Knockdown attack|
|2C||2||6||8||19||1~5(5) / 14~19(6)||-||-3||-3||-8||Low||Weak attack|
|j.A||8||6||4||14||6~9(4)||-||--||--||--||High||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|j.B||11||8||4||15||8~11(4)||-||--||--||--||High||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|j.AB||25||11||4||24||x||-||--||--||--||High||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|5BC||16||20||4||41||4~19(16)||-||KD||KD||-15||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|u.5BC||8||21||4||45||5~20(16)||-||KD||KD||-18||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|66A||8||9||3||20||1~5(5)||6~8(3) / 12~17(6)||-1||-1||-28||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|Tenkoku Houra - 623C||0||10||2||37||x||-||--||--||--||Mid||1-11f throw invincible|
|Ten'i Daihou - 236A / 236B||6x3||19||16||57||x||-||KD||KD||-12||Mid||Knockdown attack|
|Tensatsu Daisai - 236AB||1x7, 35||19||32||57||x||-||KD||KD||-7||Mid||Knockdown attack|
|Tenki Shichiyou: Nichi - j.AC||8||10||x||x||x||-||??||??||??||High||Medium attack|
10f-hit below knees invincible
|Tenmou Konji - j.236AB||18||17||x||x||x||-||KD||KD||-21||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|Tenkai Unri - 236CD||37||16||38||87||x||-||KD||KD||-59||Mid||1-14f above knees invincible|