Samurai Shodown V SP/Gaoh Kyogoku Hinowanokami
The man with the name that never ends. When he levels up he puts all his points into mustache power.
Gaoh is a pretty straightforward character. He has enormous range, above-average damage, good mobility, and not much else! He plays sort of like a more aggressive version of Charlotte.
- Above average movement speed.
- Normals with enormous range make him difficult to get in on, so he is a strong zoning character.
- Similarly long ranged deflect.
- Blockable "grab" that happens to be 3 frame startup, allowing him to punish things easily.
- Terrible rage balance and his WFT is almost useless.
- No real ways of forcing damage and few ways of baiting out enemy attacks.
- Chipping tools are easy to react to.
- No safe pressure options.
- Poor wakeup game.
- Damage taken: 100%
- Rage duration: 9 seconds
- Amount to rage: 32
- Walk speed: 544
- Backwalk speed: 480
- Dash speed: 1456
- Jump duration: 51 frames
- Width: 24
- Throw range: 16
|Pursuit - 2BC:
|Heavy Pursuit - 8BC:
|Deflect - 216D:
|Weapon Pickup - 5A:
|Taunt Disarm - Start Start Start:
|Imi Kagura - 236S:
|Kabuto Goma - 623S:
|Ibushi Miyabe - 214C: (can be used unarmed)
|Oboro Bayashi - 6SS:
|Kurogane Kudaki - 623C: (can be used unarmed)
|Naraku Boe - 236CD - WFT:
- 66B or n.5B or 2B or n.2B
- Gaoh has a lot of easy ways of getting combos going, though you'll probably be using 66B or 2B the most.
- ... xx 236A 2BC
- Near knockdown. You recover quickly after 236A so you can follow it up as you please. If close, you can do 2BC for a teensy bit more.
- ... xx 623S 2BC
- Far knockdown. Higher damage variant, but you recover later. If it's into the corner you can throw in a 2BC but it's probably not worth it.
- ... xx 623C
- Style point bonus. Can only be done at point blank range, but does more damage than 236A and recovers quickly.
- 6C xx 236A 2BC
- This is a low hitting combo that actually works at the maximum range of 6C. Good stuff, but impossible to hitconfirm.
- (2B or n.2B) xx 236CD
- This has to be canceled immediately during hitstop. In fact, that is the only reason this combos.
- Has to be done at point blank range or near the corner to actually combo in full, otherwise they get just the tip of the WFT and don't get disarmed or take much damage.
- n.2A xx 623C
- Now this combo has some interesting properties. Because the recoil cancel period is pretty late on this, if you're fast you can actually Option Select the grab out, canceling into it if you hit and doing something else if you miss. n.2A is -14f on block if not canceled, though, so be wary.
- (n.5A or u.2S) xx 623C
- Basically the same as n.2A except no recoil cancel to save your ass.
- 5C 2B xx whatever
- A low-hitting kick that links into 2B. Also links into n.5B, but that does less damage. The kick itself is really slow, and there isn't much reason to high block Gaoh, so this is not very useful. Possibly decent okizeme.
- Backhit (66B or n.5B or 2B or n.2B) xx 236CD
- Only way to combo Gaoh's WFT besides point-blank n.2B xx 236CD.
- Backhit 5C 2AB
- A low-hitting kick that links into 2AB. Easy to hit confirm because of large hitstun.
- (vs air) j.AB j.AB j.AB ...
- The usual when you can't cram an Issen in when they fall.
- 5AB Issen
- Boring, but Gaoh's a boring guy. This only applies when they don't have Rage Explosion available.
- Gaoh sucks at raging. While the damage bonus is nice, his WFT is awful, he has very few ways of forcing damage, and it just takes too long to charge for too little usable time. Unless you feel like taking a lot of risky gambles, you're better off saving meter for time slow.
- He has almost no high-low game to speak of, so it's more likely you'll catch the opponent mashing with lows than you will catch him blocking wrong. Focus more on footsies and timing. You've got a lot of range that's difficult to approach safely on, and Gaoh's movement is actually pretty good, so make them guess!
- If you must run for lows, 6C has good range and combos with 236A and 623S. Impossible to confirm though, so be careful. Because Gaoh has no credible high threat this is not very useful.
- The main attacks you want to land are n.5B, 66AB, 2B, n.2B, 5AB, 2AB, j.AB, and 236A. All of these either combo or do good damage on their own. 623C is an amazing punish if you block anything at close range.
- When you're in situations where you want a good reversal move, your best options are 236AB and backdash. 623C isn't invincible but starts up very quickly, so if you're not going to have a sword in your face immediately you can hit it.
Damage and defense
- 5AB - Has ridiculous range but doesn't come out too quick. Be careful of what you're trying to hit here.
- 2AB - Does good damage, comes out very quickly, and knocks down. What's not to like?
- 6C xx 236A 2BC - Hair more range than 2AB and slightly faster, but not much damage. Can also cancel to 623S instead for more damage and a far knockdown.
- 2B xx 623S - Slightly faster still, good damage. Works at near or far range equally well.
- n.2B xx 236CD - If you're close and have WFT out, this is quick and the only way to combo into it. Note that the cancel must be immediate because this makes use of the hitstop glitch.
- 5B - This really great hitbox and comes out quickly, so feel free to slap them out of the air with this.
- 5AB - Surprisingly good for smashing far jumps if they don't have strong downwards strikes.
- Neutral jump - This is a good choice because you can do j.AB on reaction to the jump and very few characters will be able to stuff that move. If they don't jump, you can come down with it out to prevent them from getting in, but watch out for deflects.
- 236B - Has upper body invulnerability until it goes active, but starts slow. It's good against some characters.
- 623S - Takes forever to get into the air, so not recommended on reaction except against slow jumpers. If you're clever you can set it up off of a 66B whiff.
- n.5AB will catch both neutral jumps and crossup attempts easily, since it hits above and behind Gaoh.
|5A||6||9||2||21||1~2(2)||3~8(6)||-2||-2||-12||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|5B||11||10||4||32||1~2(2)||3~9(7)||-4||+4||-18||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|5AB||30||18||8||60||1~3(3)||4~17(14)||-5||+5||-26||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|2A||5||7||3||19||7~12(6)||1~6(6) / 10~19(10)||-2||-2||-14||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|2B||9||11||5||31||11~16(6)||-||-2||+6||-15||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|n.5A||5||6||3||16||1~2(2) / 6~10(5)||-||+0||+0||-5||Mid||Weak attack|
|n.5B||5, 5||11||2||33||13~16(4)||2~10(9)||-2||+6||-18||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|n.5AB||27||19||9||57||1~12(12)||4~18(15)||-1||+9||-26||Mid||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|n.2A||5||7||3||19||7~12(6)||1~6(6) / 10~19(10)||-2||-2||-14||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|n.2B||9||11||5||31||11~16(6)||-||-2||+6||-15||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|6C||5||13||10||32||1~5(5) / 13~32(20)||-||-1||+7||-14||Low||Medium attack|
|j.B||10||13||6||45||x||-||--||--||--||High||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|j.AB||25||17||4||28||x||-||--||--||--||High||Heavy attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|5BC||16||20||4||40||x||-||KD||KD||-15||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|u.5BC||6||20||7||40||x||-||KD||KD||-15||High||Medium attack Knockdown attack|
|66A||6||9||2||20||1~2(2)||Y||-1||-1||-26||Mid||Weak attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|66B||5, 5||11||2||33||13~30(18)||Y||-2||+6||-26||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|u.66S||5||7||3||14||1~3(3) / 7~11(5)||-||KD||KD||-2||Mid||Knockdown attack|
|Ibushi Miyabe - 214C||x||x||x||42||x||-||--||--||--||Mid||7-24f projectile reflect|
|Kabuto Goma - 623S||6, 18||17||39||83||x||-||KD||KD||-61||Mid||Knockdown attack|
1-13f throw invincible
|Imi Kagura - 236A||15||18||3||42||x||-||KD||KD||-19||Mid||Knockdown attack|
|Imi Kagura - 236B||18||29||4||60||x||-||KD||KD||-26||Mid||Knockdown attack|
14-28f upper body invincible
|Imi Kagura - 236AB||26||32||4||75||x||-||KD||KD||-38||Mid||Knockdown attack|
1-4f fully invincible
|Oboro Bayashi - 6A x2||4x3||30||2||61||x||-||-3||+5||-15||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(weak)|
|Oboro Bayashi - 6B x2||4x5||35||2||76||x||-||-3||+5||-15||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(med)|
|Oboro Bayashi - 6AB x2||4x9||40||2||102||x||-||-4||+4||-16||Mid||Medium attack, Deflectable(heavy)|
|Kurogane Kudaki - 623C||20||3||1||51||x||-||KD||KD||-43||Mid||Knockdown attack|
|Naraku Boe - 236CD||1x5, 25||22||2||99||x||-||KD||KD||-48||Mid||Knockdown attack|
1-5f melee invincible
22-45f fully invincible