High class technical officer of the Imperial army. Believed to have died at the critical times of War coming to its end, in the Arctic ocean, during the transportation of a new military unit from an allied country. 50 years after, returning alive and unchanged in appearance, he, wielding superhuman abilities, resumes his mission. (from character selection screen)
Akatsuki is the main character of the game so it's no surprise that he is one of the fireball archetypes with a special moveset consisting of a fireball, uppercut, and flying kick. Following the tradition of many fireball archetypes, Akatsuki is a well-rounded character with moves for practically every situation. He can convert random pokes into big damage with the opponent in and away from the corner using his devastating 6C or his 6B overhead. With his combo potential, high damage, and a moveset that covers practically all the bases, Akatsuki poses a major threat to any character in the hands of a skilled player.
- Armor Ratio = 1.000
4/5/6+A+B: Akatsuki grabs the opponent and discharges them with an electric blast. The opponent can tech roll the throw upon landing.
j.4/5/6+A+B: Akatsuki throws the opponent straight into the ground below him. This throw can not be tech rolled.
5A: A quick jab that is cancellable and can chain into a lot of his other ground normals.
5B: A standing toe kick to the midsection. Has pretty good range and decent recovery which works great for spacing.
5B (close): A quick hitting uppercut. Doesn't have much range but it comes out rather fast and is great for starting combos off jump-ins.
5C: A standing kick that hits above and in front of his head. Can be chained into from his B attacks and can act as an anti-air against various jump-ins.
5C (close): A powerful knee strike. This move does quite a bit of damage and it can chain into his 6C launcher. It comes out relatively fast and works great in corner juggles.
2A: The same as his 5A except performed while crouching and does less damage.
2B: A crouching side kick. This move has good range and speed making it a great move for playing footsies. It can chain into his 5B making it easier to hit confirm for combos.
2C: A sweep kick. The startup isn't too bad but it seems to be a bit on the laggy side. It can go under some attacks so it's not really a horrible move.
j.A: A jumping knee attack with short range. This isn't really a good move to use in air-to-air situations because its range is short and the attack doesn't stay out that long. It is useful in juggle combos however.
7/9B: A downward jumping kick. This move has quite a large hitbox so it can cross the opponent up. It also stays out for a while and it hits at a nice angle making it a great jump-in.
8B: The first half animation of an axe kick that hits upward. Comes out quickly and is cancellable but nothing special otherwise.
7/9C: A jumping axe kick. This move does more damage than the previous two and it comes out relatively quick. It will slam an airborne opponent into the ground if it hits them. It doesn't seem to stay out as long as the j.B and I haven't really used it in air-to-air situations all that much. I'm guessing it might get beat out by attacks that come out faster.
8C: A spin kick performed while jumping in place. On hit, this attack will send the opponent flying across the screen and bounce them off the wall. This move has great combo potential but considering that it's performed while jumping straight up, you may find it a lot easier getting combos off his 6C launcher instead.
兜割リ - Kabuto Wari - 6B: Akatsuki hops forward while performing a slower version of his j.C.
- Since this move is an overhead, it is one of Akatsuki's greatest assets to his high-low game since it can either be chained from most of his ground normals or as a standalone attack.
- If the attack hits, Akatsuki can go straight into a combo by linking a 2A or 5C(c) (much harder) into a launcher for solid damage.
- Although it is safe on block, this move does carry some risk because it has no lower body invulnerability and he can be thrown out of it if spaced poorly.
顎割リ - Agito Wari - 6C: Akatsuki dashes forward while performing a swift and powerful uppercut that will send the opponent flying vertically.
- This is probably the meat of Akatsuki's combos as it allows him to perform all sorts of damaging juggles either midscreen or close to the corner.
- Depending on how many hits preceded it, he can perform various combos that can send the opponent from halfscreen point into the corner with ease.
- Performing it in a corner combo can lead to the damaging 214 loop.
- This move cannot cancel into any other specials and if the opponent blocks it at close range, Akatsuki is wide open to punishment. As a result, this move is best utilized in combos.
瓦割リ - Kawara Wari - j.2C: Akatsuki kneels down with his fist pointing downward as he moves up slightly and then straight down with great force.
- This move completely cancels any jump trajectory and can be used for baiting anti-air normals because of the slight delay at the beginning.
- It can be chained into from various air normals for further effectiveness.
電光弾 - Denkoudan - 236+A/B/C (also in air): Akatsuki fires a purple orb of electricity.
- A version is the slowest one.
- B version travels about 1.5 times the speed of the A version.
- C version travels about twice as fast as the A version and knocks the opponent down.
- Aerial versions share the same properties as the ground variations, except they do slightly less damage and travel at a 45 degree angle downward.
徹甲脚 - Tekkoukyaku - 214+A/B/C (also in air): Akatsuki performs a series of his jumping kicks while moving forward.
- A version is a single 8C-like hit.
- B version hits twice (8C followed by 8B).
- C version hits 3 times (B version ending with a 7/9C) and slams the opponent into the ground. The last hit is an overhead and must be blocked high.
- All versions of this move can avoid low attacks.
人間迫砲 - Ningen Hakubou - 22+A/B/C: Akatsuki leaps vertically with his fist pointed upward.
- A version does 1 hit, B - 2 hits, C - 3 hits.
- This is your typical shoryuken-style attack. Though invincibility frames on it have been reduced since version 1.1.0, it can still be useful when used in moderation as an anti-air, reversal, or in combos.
EX and Super Moves
特攻電光弾 - EX Denkoudan - 236+B+C (also in air): Akatsuki fires a chain of 4 projectiles that stay pretty close together.
- Its primary use is for ending combos but it may come in handy for the occasional projectile war.
特攻徹甲脚 - EX Tekkoukyaku - 214+B+C (also in air): Akatsuki performs a series of spinning kicks where the last hit launches the opponent upward.
- Can be comboed off of just about every cancellable ground normal that he has.
- It's not particularly useful in juggles because depending on how many hits you use before it, a lot of the hits will miss and you won't get a lot of damage out of it.
- You can use this move in the event that you land a random poke on the ground but are too far away to combo into his 6C.
特攻人間迫砲 - EX Ningen Hakubou - 22+B+C: A multi-hit version of his 22 attack.
- Comboable off 214A.
- The last hit ends with an 8C which induces a wall bounce.
- However, there is a significant amount of recovery making it impossible to follow up.
- Does the most damage of his EX moves and it can be used on wakeup but use it wisely as it's really easy to parry and the opponent has all day to punish you as you land.
神風 - Kamikaze - A+B+C: Akatsuki rushes forward and if the initial hit connects, he will perform a barrage of punches and kicks which end in a powerful energy blast that bounces the opponent off the wall.
- This super is very damaging but it also gives the opponent quite a bit of meter as well.
- If the initial hit is blocked, he will perform about 8 hits before stopping. The final hit pushes them back a bit so it looks relatively safe.
- In the rare occasion that this super manages to OTG, he will perform the rest of the attacks and if the opponent blocks it, more often then not, the very last hit will break their guard.
- This is quite possibly one of the easiest level 3 attacks to insert into a combo. During a juggle or on the ground, your opponent will learn to fear your B normals once you've gained a level 3.
In spite of having the movelist of a shoto, Akatsuki can not be played like one. He can not spam projectiles and wait for the opponent to jump at him so he can score an anti-air. The reflector system absolutely kills that style of play. However, Akatsuki is a very flexible character with great normals, solid mixups, and powerful combos. His moves allow him to punish mistakes on the fly with oftentimes devastating results.
Since Akatsuki is a well-rounded character, he isn't all that confusing to use effectively. Every one of his moves have a specific application, some of which can be used in more than one situation. Knowing how each move can be utilized in each of the many different situations is essential for success just like with any other character.
Akatsuki is equipped with very useful pokes. These pokes are: 5A, 2A, 5B, 2B. The A attacks are best utilized up-close because they are quick and have short range. The B attacks are best utilized with a little more space between you and the opponent. The B attacks are great for footsies because of their range and speed. On hit you can turn them into a combo depending on your spacing. Or block, you can cancel into a 236_(to create space) or a 214A to stay within close proximities.
Akatsuki has a nice variety of moves which can be used for anti-air. However, due to the simplistic parrying system in the game, it isn't always wise to attempt an anti-air because not all of his anti-air options are parry-proof. This section lists his anti-airs and specific situations in which they may be used. As usual, mixing them up will yield better results.
- 22A/B/C: This is perhaps the most obvious one since it acts like a Shoryuken. It will beat out a lot of attacks provided that you do not attempt it too early. Mixing in the different versions can help throw off the opponent's parry timing. eg: You do 22A but the opponent was expecting a 22B/C and ends up doing an extra parry. This allows you to land without taking damage and the situation ends neutral.
- 22+B+C: This one can be used much like the one above. It deals much greater damage but it is also a lot riskier to use since if it gets blocked or parried, you are left completely vulnerable on the way down. It is best utilized if the opponent mistimes their meaty jump-in. Use this one with caution.
- 5C: This attack hits at a nice upward angle making it a pretty good anti-air. If the opponent takes the hit, it will knock them down allowing you to close the gap between you. If they block it, it will push them back a bit leaving you safe.
The following can be used in situations in which the opponent jumps at you but none of the above will hit them reliably:
- 5A: This can work against close empty jumps if you weren't quick enough to pull off a 22_ and are too close to hit a 5C. Hitting the opponent with one of these will cause them to quickly land on their feet which allows you to play a high-low upon their landing. You can also do this if they decided to block the 5A instead.
- 5B: This may not look like an anti-air, but it can be used as one. This will hit opponents if they are outside your normal anti-air range but happen to stick out an attack pretty late. If they decided to block instead, it will push them back at a safe distance.
- 2C: If the opponent sticks out a move, you might get hit, but otherwise this move will knock them down if they weren't holding crouch guard upon landing.
Once Akatsuki gets a knockdown, he can continue to pressure his opponents as they are standing up.
Akatsuki's 6B is an overhead and as a result, it must be blocked standing. On hit, you can link a 5A/2A into a combo for a knockdown and sometimes a corner situation. Alternatively, after a knockdown you can attempt this early and whiff it on purpose and as a result you can bait any wakeup attacks and block them in time. You can also use a meaty 2B after a whiffed 6B which must be blocked low and turn it into a combo which will also result in another knockdown or a tech punish. If the 6B gets blocked, you are relatively safe from punishment.
Akatsuki's j.B is a great crossup. When done correctly, the opponent must block in the opposite direction from which they are facing because he is no longer in front of them when the j.B connects. Because of the position and timing, it can be a difficult attack to parry consistently. If you can aim your jump in such a way that you are at the very top of the opponent's hitbox, you can confuse the opponent into thinking whether or not the j.B will cross them up. When the j.B does hit (crossup or not), you can turn it into a damaging combo.
Tick Throw Setups
Tick throws will normally come off blocked attacks. But most of these will also work in the case that the initial attack hits the opponent and they don't poke out in time.
- 2A -> throw
- 6B -> [2A] -> throw (The 2A is optional)
- j.B -> throw (This also work if the j.B crosses them up)
- 5A (air blocked) -> dash -> throw
- [j.C] 2A5B6C -> j.A, j.B, -> 214C
- An easy combo that does fair damage for no meter. To get the combo to work, pause slightly between the two jumping attacks. 214C upon landing does more damage than the air version. This is the basic template for most of Akatsuki's juggles. If your 6C is close enough or you are going to end up in the corner by the time you do j.B, this can be extended for more damage by landing and doing another j.A, j.B -> air 214C after the first j.A, j.B.
- launch -> j.A, j.B -> 5B, ABC
- Same combo as the one above although it ends in his level 3. His level 3 combos nicely off his B attacks both on the ground and in juggles, so use it if you need to make a comeback and establish some momentum.
- launch -> j.A, pause, AB
- Alternative to the basic meterless combo. This combo gives more momentum at the expense of damage. The more hits before the launcher, the wider the damage gap.
- 2B5B -> 214C / 214+B+C / ABC or 2B5B6C -> j.B, 214C
- This is a combo that you'll probably use in footsie wars. The former variation is much easier to do if you are not within range for the launcher.
- 6B -> 5AB, 214C
- Standard combo from the 6B overhead.
- 6B -> 5A6C -> j.A, j.B -> 214C
- More damaging version of the one above.
- 22C, 236+B+C
- This combo is more of a way to have a safe wakeup attempt. You can super cancel up to the second hit of the 22C but beware of reflector-happy opponents as you are unable to super cancel the attack if the 22C gets reflected at any point.
- (reflector) 5B, 214C
- Simple combo off the reflector. This works if you reflect the opponent's air attack or if you're in the air and you reflect the opponent's ground attack.
All of these combos can be finished with A+B+C instead of 236+B+C if you have enough meter.
- [j.C] 5BB6C -> j.8A, j.8C -> j.A, j.B -> 5BB,22C -> 236+B+C
- In the corner, Akatsuki can do longer and more damaging juggle combos. Be sure to super cancel the 22C on the second hit since the 236+B+C super does more damage on the ground than it does in the air.
- [j.C] 5C(c)6C, 214A -> 5C(c), 214A -> 5BB, 22C -> 236+B+C
- This combo is the 214A loop. It requires a bit of timing and precision but is among one of the most damaging corner combos he has. The same combo ender rules apply as the one above. See it here.
- 2AB5B -> 214B -> 2A5B -> 214A -> 5ABB,22C -> 236+B+C
- A shortened version of the 214A loop that can be setup from outside of the corner. Use this if you are out of range to land his 6C launcher. The 2A after 214B is a fairly tight link.
- (reflector) 5B, 214A -> 5B, 22C, 236+B+C
- A longer combo that does more damage than the midscreen reflector combo. This one can do upwards of about ~3000+ damage which isn't bad off a reflector.
KD - Knockdown
VA - Variable
*UV - vaule(s) marked with "?" in the table is/are unverified
x~yF - a period from frame "x" till frame "y"
| Frames | Frame Advantage | Attack | Total | Startup | On Hit | On Block | Notes Throws and Reflectors --------------------------------------- 4/5/6+A+B | 21 | 5 | KD | -- | j.4/5/6+A+B | 21 | 3 | KD | -- | 5+B+C | 17 | 7 | KD | +3 | c.B+C | 17 | 7 | KD | +3 | j.B+C | 16 | 6 | KD | +3 | A+C | 44 | -- | -- | -- | cancellable after 28F Normals --------------------------------------- 5A | 15 | 4 | +0 | +0 | close 5B | 24 | 5 | -4 | -6 | far 5B | 25 | 7 | -3 | -5 | close 5C | 25 | 6 | +0 | -4 | far 5C | 31 | 8 | KD | -8 | c.A | 14 | 4 | +1 | +1 | c.B | 25 | 7 | -3 | -5 | c.C | 32 | 9 | KD | -8 | j.A | 15 | 4 | +0 | +0 | 7/9B | 25 | 6 | VA | VA | 8B | 24 | 5 | VA | VA | 7/9C | 20 | 9 | VA | VA | 8C | 21 | 7 | KD | VA | c./5A > 5A | 15 | 4 | +0 | +0 | c./5A > c.A | 15 | 4 | +0 | +0 | Command Normals --------------------------------------- 6B | 30 | 21 | +6 | +4 | 6C | 41 | 10 | KD | -16 | j.2C | VA | 15 | VA | VA | landing recovery 7F Specials --------------------------------------- 236A | 48 | 10 | -8 | -12 | 236B | 48 | 11 | -7 | -11 | 236C | 48 | 12 | KD | -10 | j.236A | VA | 11 | VA | VA | landing recovery 14F j.236B | VA | 12 | VA | VA | landing recovery 15F j.236C | VA | 13 | KD | VA | landing recovery 16F 214A | 26 | 11 | +0 | -2 | 214B | 50 | 11 | KD | -15 | 214C | 60 | 11 | KD | -14 | j.214A | VA | 8 | VA | VA | landing recovery 10F j.214B | VA | 8 | KD | VA | landing recovery 10F j.214C | VA | 8 | KD | VA | landing recovery 12F 22A | 41 | 3 | KD | -23 | 1~3F invincible? *UV 22B | 52 | 4 | KD | -32 | 1~4F invincible? *UV 22C | 61 | 5 | KD | -39 | 1~5F invincible? *UV EX and Level 3 --------------------------------------- 236+B+C | 51 | 13 | KD | +0 | 1~4F invincible? *UV j.236+B+C | VA | 5 | KD | VA | 1~2F invincible? *UV, landing recovery 18F 214+B+C | 100 | 13 | KD | -25 | 1~5F invincible j.214+B+C | VA | 4 | KD | VA | 1~2F invincible, landing recovery 14F 22+B+C | 72 | 5 | KD | -50* | 1~6F invincible, *if 3 hits were blocked A+B+C | 38 | 15 | KD | -20 | superflash 40F, 1~5F invincible (1st hits connect) A+B+C | "" | "" | KD | -10 | "" (1st hits are guarded/reflected)
Akatsuki's Story (it's a pretty rough translation done way back in 2008, feel free to edit - nekich)
Prologue: 紀元二六六Ｘ年… Year 266X A.D. 前大戦末期、同盟国から At the end of the previous War, during the transportation 新兵器を輸送中に of a new military unit from an allied country 北極海が突如浮上した From a suddenly surfaced in Arctic ocean sub, その中から現れたのは appears 技術研究のため派遣された an ex military officer of the imperial army Akatsuki, 旧帝国陸軍技官アカツキであった sent for a technological research 冬眠制御によって thanks to hibernation control 平世紀の間年き長らえた彼は he lived through the whole Heisei era 覚醒と同時に and awaken and at the same time he 残された任務を再開する… resumes an abandoned mission
Marilyn pre-battle: ＜上海港＞ Shanghai Harbor 大陸を南下するアカツキに As Akatsuki travels south continent 電光機関を狙うマフィアの an assassin who wants to steal 兇手が待ち受ける… the Blitz Engine awaits him
Wei pre-battle: ＜上海臨港新城＞ Walls facing the Shanghai Harbor (Xinsheng) 中国最大のマフィア・黒手会 From the chinese largest mafia, the Black Hand, 大陸最強と謳われた兇手が an assassin, admired as the strongest one, アカツキの前に立ち塞がった stands in Akatsuki's way
Kanae pre-battle: ＜富士・陸軍研究所跡＞ Mt Fuji - Military Research Lab Ruins 帰国したアカツキを Akatsuki, returned to his country, 待ち受けていたのは is awaited by a ground special task operative 任務解除命令を持つ who holds the cancellation orders 陸幕の特殊工作員だった…
Fritz pre-battle ＜富士ヶ嶺＞ Mt Fuji Peak 遂に現れた使者は Finally, the messenger is seen, かっての同僚、不律だった the former colleague, Fritz 平世紀の時を経て Hell that passed over the Heisei era 地獄の釜は再び開く… breaks loose once more
Fritz encounter: ア：不律…達者のようだな Fritz...doesn't look like you're in good health. 不：…気付いてあったか You noticed, huh? ア：研究所に行けば decided that if i'm going to the research lab 必ず接触があると踏んだ there is always a contact. 不：あの状況でよく生き延びた Hm, in those circumstances you've survived well enough と言いたい所じゃが… to want to talk about that place... ア：やはり何か知ってりるのか… So you know something...?
Sai pre-battle: ＜香港・銅鑼湾＞ Hong Kong - Causeway Bay (To'ng luo' Wa-n) 再び大陸へ向かうアカツキに Once again travelling to continent 接触するエージェント・塞 Akatsuki is contacted by an agent - Sai. 彼もまた電光機関を And he too seeks for the Blitz Engine... 狙っていた…
Anonym pre-battle: ＜香港・神聖クラブ教会＞ Hong Kong - Church of the Sacred Club 修道女姿のエージェントは A figure of a nun agent 神の名を唱えながら while chanting the name of God 銀の引鉄に指をかけた… puts fingers upon silver metal
E-Soldat pre-battle: ＜チベット・ツァンポ峡谷＞ Thibet - Tsuanpo ravine 第三帝国最大の研究機関 The largest research facility of the Third Reich, 秘密結社「ゲゼルシャフト」 a secret society "Gesseleschaft" 戦後、彼らはアジアの秘境に Postwar, they have amassed in this base, その拠点を築いていた… in this secluded part of Asia
Adler encounter: アド：侵入者…誰かと思えばIntruder...Come to think of it, 死に損ないのサルではないか aren't you that monkey who escaped death? アカ：親衛隊か… Bodyguard? そこをだけ only here? アド：フ… Hmph... 俺は衛兵のようにはいかんぞ My duty is that of a sentinel.
Perfecti pre-battle: ＜ペルフェクティ祭壇＞ Altar of Perfecti ゲゼルシャフト基地の中枢 The center of Gesselschaft base. そこには「完全者」と名乗る Here, announcing herself as a "Perfect One", 少女が立っていた… a young lady stands up.
Blitztank pre-battle: ＜ゲゼルシャフト兵器工廠＞ Gesselschaft Armory 大戦末期に開発を中止された It's development was cancelled at the end of the war, 禁断の決戦兵器… a prohibited last-resort weapon. ゲゼルシャフトは既に Gesselschaft has already その復元を完了していた completed its restoration
Murakumo pre-battle: ＜電光機関＞ Blitz Engine 基地最深部で稼働する In the very depths of the base, 巨大な電光機関 a huge working Blitz Engine. そこで待っていた者は… A person waiting here is...
Murakumo encounter: ア：何故お前がWhy are you here? こんな所にいる ム：それはこっちの台詞だ Those are my words, 試製一號… Experiment 1 ア：「任務二失敗セシ時八 "When mission fails twice, 電光機関ヲ総テ破壊セヨ」Destroy all 8 Blitz Engines!" お前の命令だったな weren't those your orders? 「アカツキ零號」よAkatsuki Zero?! ム：まさか生還する者がいるとは Well, i've never expected you 思っていなかったのでな to return alive ア：やはり全滅を承知で So the North Pole route was picked 北極航路をとらせたのか… knowing it would lead to destruction? ム：無限の電力で装甲を溶かし Melting armor with the infinite power of electricity, 電子兵器を無力化する… disabling electronic weapons... 電光機関を独占した我らが After monopolyzing the Blitz Engine 最終戦争に勝利し I will win the final war 新世界秩序における and within the New World Order 「現人神」となるのだwill become the human God. ア：世迷言を… Nonsense... 電光機関は全て破壊するI'll destroy all of the Blitz Engine. ム：ほう…やる気か Oh..are you willing to? 完成なったこの六〇式… This sixties model? That has reached perfection?.. 旧式の貴様に勝機は無い You, the old type, cannot win
Epilogue: ム：グハァッ！… Gahh!.. Hah....hah.... ハァッ…ハァッ…ハァッ… ア：やはりその白髮 So, this white hair 結果は分かっていた筈だ Should've realised the consequences ム：否…この死の力…私は… No...this power of death....i've... …乗り越え…た… over...came... ア：人は神でも機械でもない… Human is neither a god nor a machine... これで終わりだ It ends here.
紀元二六六Ｘ年Ｘ月… 266X A.D. month X チベット奥地で大規模な A large Tibetan hinterland had collpased 崩落事故が発生した 名国の調査隊が派遣されるも A group sent to investigate 巨大な岩塊以外に couldn't find anything except rocks... 何も発見する事は 出来なかった…